Double Black: A Ski Diva Mystery

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

NASTC clinic, revisited.

I know I've been out of touch for a while.

Well, there's a very good reason. I was in Tahoe, skiing with members of TheSkiDiva.com during our annual Diva Week, and attending the first ever TheSkiDiva/NASTC clinic.

All I can say is WOW.  Meeting members of the forum that I've only had the chance to communicate with online was an absolute delight. These are athletic, empowered women who love skiing as much as I do, and who aren't afraid to get out there and kick some skiing ass. If you're a woman who loves to ski and you're not a member of TheSkiDiva.com, I strongly encourage you to join.

I also have to announce the beginning of a new love affair. Yes, this Vermont skier absolutely fell head over heels  with Tahoe. So much to ski, such terrific terrain. We managed to hit Alpine Meadows, Sugar Bowl, Northstar, and Squaw, each one incredible in its own special way. I'd have loved to have skied Homewood, Heavenly, and Kirkwood, too, but those will have to wait for another trip. And I WILL be back.

And the clinic was everything I hoped it would be. We spent three half days with instructors from the North American Ski Training Center, a first rate ski clinic headquartered in Truckee, CA.  Run by Chris and Jenny Fellows, NASTC has a reputation as one of the world's foremost ski clinics. We worked in small groups of four or five skiers per instructor, tackling one task at a time, each run building on the one before it. We were even fortunate enough to get a huge dump during our day at Squaw (mid-thigh, people!),  which our instructors took as an opportunity to turn into a powder skiing lesson.

Here are pix from this amazing trip:




This was truly an incredible experience. Hope you can join us next year!

Be sure to visit TheSkiDiva.com, an internet forum especially for women skiers, where women skiers can connect with one another to talk about everything and anything ski-related.

No comments: