Double Black: A Ski Diva Mystery

Monday, July 14, 2008

Do you make your kids wear a helmet?

A lot of people do. Yet some of these same people refuse to wear one themselves.

I've heard all the arguments: I don't fall much, I don't ski fast, I'm very careful, It's not comfortable, etc. etc. etc..

Look, whether or not you wear a helmet is a personal choice (though in my opinion, a misguided one). But it doesn't set a good example for your child if you don't wear a helmet and you make them wear one.

This past season my husband fell in a very easy area -- he just caught an edge and went down -- and his head hit so hard that his helmet cracked. I shudder to think what would've happened if he didn't have one on.

All kids should wear helmets. All patrollers and instructors should wear helmets.

In fact, I think everyone should wear helmets.

They're not just for kids.

Be sure to visit TheSkiDiva.com, an internet forum especially for women skiers, where women skiers can connect with one another to talk about everything and anything ski-related.

No comments: