Double Black: A Ski Diva Mystery

Thursday, August 31, 2006

A reqium for summer.

Labor Day weekend marks the unofficial close of summer. And while I rejoice at the now forseeable approach of ski season, I am not, as some people claim, a "summer hater." There are lots of things I actually like about summer. Here are a few:

Warm temperatures: Believe it or not, I actually don't enjoy being cold. It's just that I love skiing so much that I'm willing to, shall we say, overlook it. It's nice not to go outside dressed in multiple layers.

The beach: As someone who grew up on the Jersey shore, the beach is in my blood. There's something almost visceral about it to me. When I go to the beach, I feel like I'm going home. For me, the ideal would be a home in the mountains and one on the beach. But unless I hit the lottery, that ain't going to happen!

Summer shoes: What woman doesn't love the toe-baring sandals you get to wear in the summer?

Cooking on the grill: My husband and I grill a lot in the summer. Food just tastes better. I miss that in the winter.

Summer veggies and fruit: Corn on the cob, peaches, blueberries, strawberries, tomatoes. 'Nuff said.

Flowers: I'm a big fan of anything that blooms. Green is nice, too.

To all that, I bid a fond farewell. See you next year. Now when do we ski?

Reminder: Coming September 4 -- TheSkiDiva.com, an internet forum especially for women skiers (see August 2 blog entry entitled "Coming Attractions"). If you'd like to know when it's up and running, send me an email and I'll keep you posted!

No comments: