Double Black: A Ski Diva Mystery

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Thoren Theory.

If you don't know Jeannie Thoren, maybe you should.

Named one of the 100 Most Influential Skiers of the Century by Ski Magazine and one of the Top 25 Most Influential Skiers of the Past 50 years by Skiing Magazine, Jeannie has had an incredible influence on women's skiing.

Jeannie developed the Thoren Theory more than 30 years ago -- perhaps the main impetus behind many of the developments in women's equipment today.

What's her theory? By today's standards, it seems fairly obvious:

Women are not small men!

We're built differently, with wider hips, narrower shoulders, smaller feet, and a different stance. All this means its harder for a woman to get forward over her skis, keep her skis flat against the snow, or get enough power out of her equipment. Which means that women's skis and boots need to be engineered to accomodate the biomechanical differences that can make a world of difference in our skiing.

For years Jeannie offered ski clinics at ski areas across the country, helping women adapt equipment to their special requirements and coaching them to become better skiers. Lately she's moved on, working to develop women's boots and skis for Dynastar/Lange.

Jeannie is a great resource for women's skiing, and someone to be admired. Truly a women ahead of her time and someone who should be saluted for making a difference.

Be sure to visit TheSkiDiva.com, an internet forum especially for women skiers, where women skiers can connect with one another to talk about everything and anything ski-related.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I SWEAR by Jeannie Thoren. She helped me select my first set of equipment several years ago and it changed not only the way I skied (for the better) but also helped me ENJOY the sport so much more. So, I was thrilled when I saw that she would be giving another seminar last fall at REI in Denver. I went and whaddya know... all new equipment... and for the first time in the 8 or so years I've been skiing I felt what it really means to carve my turns! I get it Jeannie! If you get a chance to attend one of her in-store sessions GO!

http://www.jeanniethoren.com/