Double Black: A Ski Diva Mystery

Friday, March 28, 2008

Why Women's Gear DOESN'T Suck.

There's a thread going on over at a major ski forum, EpicSki, entitled "Why Women's Skis Suck." In it, the writer poses that there is no need for women's equipment. That manufacturers should just make skis in varying lengths and flexes, with different mounting points, and boots should be produced in varying widths and shell sizes.

My feeling is that'd be great in a perfect world. But it's not a perfect world. Manufacturers don't make a lot of unisex (read "men's") skis in the shorter lengths, etc. that women need. And if it takes marketing to women to make them do it, then I'm all for it. Hey, I want performance, so I'll get it wherever I can find it. At 5'-1" and 110 lbs, I used to have to resort to junior equipment to find something that fit my height and weight. Now, thanks to women's specific equipment, I don't have to. Manufacturers have started making a lot of kick-ass women's skis and boots. Now if they'd finally figure out that they don't have to make them pink or use flowery graphics.......

Be sure to visit TheSkiDiva.com, an internet forum especially for women skiers, where women skiers can connect with one another to talk about everything and anything ski-related.

No comments: