Double Black: A Ski Diva Mystery

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Sex, violence, and snow sports.






Doesn't seem like they go together, but to some ski manufacturers, they seem to make perfect sense.

Take Nordica Olympia skis, for example. Great skis. But why the silhouette of a naked lady on the top sheet? It's not that I find the female form offensive (I know, I know, it's the Goddess Victory). but couldn't they come up with something better? Do we HAVE to have a naked woman on our skis to understand thet these are for women? Besides, she looks like the woman on the truck mud flaps!

What I find particularly offensive are the violent images used in some snow sport products. There's a jacket by Grenade, for example, that has the text, "Die, Die my Darling," on the back, with the image of a woman being murdered. I know, I know, it's from a Misfits song. But it's offensive on so many levels I hardly know where to begin. I actually find the entire Grenade imagry offensive. Obviously, I'm not the target audience for Grendade's products, but the message of violence this sends is appalling.

Or how about K2's Hellbent ski? Ridiculously violent. And why?? To appeal to 12 year old boys?? And if so, what's the message they're sending? Sheesh.

I think ski manufacturers can do a lot better. Don't you?

Be sure to visit TheSkiDiva.com, an internet forum especially for women skiers, where women skiers can connect with one another to talk about everything and anything ski-related.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I find that troubling, too. As a snowboarder, I'd have to say that the situation seems to be worse in the snowboarding line.