Double Black: A Ski Diva Mystery

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Swimming to nowhere.

Staying in shape during the off season is important. I know, I know -- it may seem like a long time til ski season starts back up. But you have to do something between now and when the snow flies again. Otherwise, you'll end up paying big time.

Besides, it's fun.

So what am I doing, now that my ski season is over?

A variety of things. For starters, a couple weeks ago I joined my local fitness center. And I began swimming laps.

Back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth. You get the idea.

For starters, I'm swimming half a mile. Can't do it straight through without stopping yet, but I'm working on it. Once I get that down, I'll increase the distance. It's great exercise. And when I'm done, I really feel like I've had a good workout.

Hey, my Dad is 85 years old, and he swims half a mile three or four times a week -- WITHOUT STOPPING!!!! If he can do it, shouldn't I be able to, too????

Swimming has its advantages over running. You don't get hot and sweaty. It's low impact, so it's easy on your feet and joints. And it's kind of calming. I can think about all sorts of things, while I'm in the pool.

It's not skiing. But it's not bad. I'll let you know how it works out.

Be sure to visit TheSkiDiva.com, an internet forum especially for women skiers, where women skiers can connect with one another to talk about everything and anything ski-related.

No comments: