Double Black: A Ski Diva Mystery

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Apparently, all buyers are not created equal.

True stories from women over at TheSkiDiva.com:

  • I was really serious about buying a Metron, didn't know if I wanted the M11 or the B5. So I went to the ski shop to get demos. Good idea, right? The shop manager actually looked at me, tried to talk me into different skis (lower intermediate models), and said, "I could let you demo the Metrons, but you'd never be able to use them to their potential". Guess where I didn't buy my Metrons?

  • The employee of a store I frequent (mainly for accessories and because they have given me good deals on kids equipment with buy backs, etc.) basically told me I was skiing the wrong ski (Dynastar Exclusive Legend.) The conversation started when I mentioned that I noticed they didn't carry Dynastar in their store. He never asked me how often I ski or my level. He just looked at my size and said that my ski was too stiff for me and too long (152 cm.) Now, I used these skis last year in CO and loved them and had no trouble. Fortunately the manager of this store knows me and doesn't treat me this way or I might not patronize them for my twins junior equipment. Just because I am small and light doesn't mean I need intermediate level equipment!

  • Man, I hope there are some ski retailers are reading this blog. Women skiers have a lot of purchasing power, and clearly we've had some bad treatment buying equipment. It's time people in ski shops realized that they should make no assumptions regarding a woman skier's abilities. Any decent sales person knows that it takes real engagement to make a sale. Asking questions, treating the buyer with respect without regard to gender, appearance, color, race, religion, etc. (you get the picture), and listening to the customer is key. Treating a customer the way reported here is more than just insulting; it's also an easy way to lose a sale -- not just from the woman who's there, but from her friends and family, as well, now and in the future. All in all, not a good way to do business.

    Be sure to visit TheSkiDiva.com, a new internet forum especially for women skiers, where women skiers can connect with one another to talk about everything and anything ski-related.

    No comments: