Double Black: A Ski Diva Mystery

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Ain't no harm in that.

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but until recently I thought the words to the Gwen Stefani song, "Ain't no holla back girl," were "Ain't no harm in that, girl." My daughter informed me otherwise. I guess I'm showing my age.

Anyway, "Ain't no harm in that" has sort of become a family catch phrase. And I'm using it here to promote exercising during the off season. After all, "Ain't no harm in that."

Keeping in shape in the off season can mean fewer sore muscles when ski season rolls around. I go to the gym 5 times a week, where I do half an hour on the ellipitical machine, and half an hour of weight training. On days when it's just too beautiful to stay indoors, I like to bike (great for leg muscles), roller blade (ditto), hike (ditto), or swim.

The most important thing is to find something you enjoy. That way, you'll be sure to keep at it. I know, I know -- finding the time to exercise with the kids, the job and/or school, laundry, errands, etc. etc. can be a real challenge. But -- and I know you've heard this before -- staying in shape is imperative not just for skiing, but for warding off all kinds of health conditions and for making you feel better all around. (It's also important for looking great in a swim suit this summer. But that's for someone else's blog.) Even if you can only exercise a few times a week, try to make that a regular part of your schedule. The payoff is incredible.

What do you do to keep in shape? Yoga? Pilates? Tennis? Swimming? Walking? Post it here. After all, the fitter you are when the snow starts to fly, the less ibuprofren you'll have to take next winter -- and the more easily you'll fit into this season's ski clothes. Ain't no harm in that, girl!

No comments: