Double Black: A Ski Diva Mystery

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Tech Talk: Summer Storage

Are you a techie? Do you tune your own skis? I don't know any women who do, and I don't think I've ever seen a female techie in a ski shop, either.

Someone may call me on this, but I think I'm pretty safe in saying that ski maintenance is still predominately a man's world. I wonder why...but that's a topic for another entry.

Anyway, whether you do it yourself or have someone do it for you, it's important to take a few precautions when you store your skis for the summer. A survey of a few local ski shops resulted in the following advice:

1) Coat the bottoms with a base conditioning wax to keep them from drying out. If you want to try this yourself, there's a great article in Skiing magazine that shows how it's done.

2) Store them in a dry environment. This means keeping them off a concrete floor, which can hold moisture and cause the edges to rust. I also read somewhere that coating the edges with Vaseline can help prevent them from oxidizing over the summer.

Anyone have any other tips? If so, post 'em here. Remember -- take care of your skis, and they'll take care of you.

No comments: